Last saturday I spent the afternoon with my mother in law and my daughter at a doTERRA essential oil class, we had such a wonderful time and always learn so much. The topic of natural deodorant came up and with that was the opportunity to obtain a recipe to make my own. It seemed easy enough and so my daughter and I decided to tackle it last night, she in her hometown and me in mine but with the same goal in mind-natural health.
All I needed to buy was corn starch, because I didn’t have any of that since I NEVER EVER make homemade gravy, luckily that stuff is super cheap. After dinner I was ready to tackle my project.
I put all of the ingredients on the table, so that I could give all of you a visual of how what to use…looks like simple stuff.
For the homemade deodorant, you will need:
1/4 cup of Baking Soda
1/4 cup of Corn Starch
1/2 cup of Coconut Oil (I always have this on hand because I substitute it for butter, you can also fry with it, use it in health products. It is just a wonderful supplement to add to your health care)
1-2 glass containers (or plastic if you don’t use the essential oil). My daughter laughed at me because I wasn’t able to find any empty jars at the local store, so I purchased 2 small containers of a weird generic hair gel and when I got home I just scooped out the gel into the trash, washed the containers and off I went.
10 drops of your favorite essential oil-I used doTERRA’s Wild Orange, it has magnificent anti bacterial qualities, and smells great.
This is seriously all you will need! Not only was this incredibly inexpensive to make, it is totally natural, so there’s no fear of dangerous parabens, alum and aluminum.
Here’s how you put everything together:
1. Combine the baking soda and corn starch into a bowl.
2. Put the coconut oil in a sauce pan on very low heat for only enough time for it to get a more liquid consistency. If you’ve never used coconut oil before, be prepared for a unique experience. It’s the strangest thing I’ve seen. It melts at room temperature and hardens very quickly if cooled. Do not store it in the fridge.
3. Once the coconut is at a semi-liquid consistency, meaning not all of it is melted, add it to the baking soda and corn starch mixture and stir it together with a spatula. If you find the consistency to be too watery, add a tad more baking soda, or once it’s in the jar, just put it in the fridge for NO MORE than 5 minutes, otherwise it will get too hard.
4. When the 3 main ingredients are combined, add essential oil if you want. About 10 drops should do it. Mix it thoroughly.
5. Finally, put it in the jar and it’s ready to use! Apply with your fingers to the armpit areas.
Remember this is a deodorant not an antiperspirant, but it does a fantastic job. Today was the maiden voyage with my new natural deodorant and I am 100% satisfied with it, no complaints whatsoever.
So there you have it, simple, natural and completely safe for your body. Try it tonight, I bet you love it too.
UPDATE: Well I have been using the deodorant for 4 days and I am in love with it. I am not one bit disappointed and even though it’s a deodorant and not an antiperspirant, it actually helps me stay dry too.